posted this on October 25, 2010 23:48
Great, so we've managed to upload some images into a gallery and your shopping cart is up and running.
Now it's time to add more of your own branding and character to the site - Let's customize the Home and About pages!
1. From your Admin Dashboard, click the Website tab.
2. Then in the secondary navigation strip, click the Home button.
- Once again, keep an eye out for helpful Tool Tips and Page Descriptions as you make your way around the interface -
Note - The process for setting up your About Page is identical to the steps we're going through now for the Home Page.
Once you've read through this lesson you can then access the About Page by hitting the About button to the right of the Home button and repeating these steps.
Note that there are quite a few Custom Page templates and Layout options provided on this page. It's definitely worth investigating these further and playing around with your set up options. For the purpose of this lesson however we're going to concentrate on updating just your Home Page image and introductory text.
So let's scroll down the page to the "Home" Content title and swap out the default Home Page image.
3. Click on the Choose a Page Photo button.
This will activate a pop-up Lightbox for you.
4. Click on the gallery drop-box provided to select the gallery you created earlier.
Note - When you come to upload your own Profile image for the About Page - it can be handy to create a gallery dedicated to housing your own private images. You can then set that Gallery to inactive in the Gallery settings page so that customers are unable to view it on the Live Site but you still have the option of selecting images from here for your Page Photo.
5. Simply click on the image of your choice.
- Great, so you can see your chosen image is now selected as the Home Page photo -
The Link Photo drop box allows you to set different link destinations for the clickable Home Page image. For now though the default setting of Galleries is fine.
6. If you wish, you can now customize the Home Page Heading that will appear above your introductory 'Body' text. I'm happy to leave mine as is for now.
7. You can also enter your own introductory text in the WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) editor.
8. ..finally if you'd like to tweak the font-size and style of your text you can select the text and then hitt the Edit CSS Style button to the top left of the WYSIWYG editor.
9. Oh - and don't forget to hit the Save Settings button at the bottom of the screen!
Important - Whenever using these WYSIWYG editors throughout the site, be careful not to copy and paste content straight from a MIcrosoft Word document. A lot of behind the scenes formatting is usually copied across from Word documents which can play havoc with your text layout in the PhotoMerchant Admin Interface.
If you need to copy and paste content from a word processing application like Word, it's best to first copy from Word and paste the content into a simple editing tool such as TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad(PC) - then copy and paste a second time into the WYSIWYG editor in order to strip out all of the unnecessary formatting.
So switching back to the LIve Site you can now check your changes.
Now just head back to Step 2 of this lesson, switch over to the About Page and repeat. It's the same process - I'm not just being lazy - Honest!