posted this on November 21, 2010 21:49
This lesson will highlight some of your site's default settings and give you some insight into tailoring your business processes.
Let's explore the PhotoMerchant defaults!
1. Click on the Settings tab in the main navigation strip from you Admin Dashboard. This should bring you to the Store Settings page.
2. Website Status - Default On
This setting allows you to temporarily close your Live Site for maintenance.
3. PhotoMerchant tagline - Default On
Note that this option will only be available to members on the Premium package.
4. Store Title - The default entry is to use your First Name here.
It's very important you enter a Store Title that you are happy with as this text appears at the top left of every page on your site.
5. Domain Prefix - The default is again your First Name.
The domain prefix you choose determines what we refer to as your "Vanity URL" that you can see to the right of the text field here. You can update this at any time. If you would like more information on using your own existing URL or domain name with your PhotoMerchant site, please refer to this FAQ article - http://helpdesk.photomerchant.net/entries/262478
6. PayPal ID - There is no default entry for your PayPal ID.
Your Paypal ID is the email address you used to create your Paypal account. For more information on PayPal and Activating Your Shopping Cart please refer to this Lesson in the Getting Started Guide - http://helpdesk.photomerchant.net/entries/268323
8. Hide Expired Galleries - Default: Yes
9. Turn on image protection - Default: Active
10. Restrict paper sizes based on image resolution - Default: Inactive Please note that "Restrict paper size based on image resolution" setting applies to Self Fulfillment products only
11. Printhouse PPI - Default: 250
12. Require Customer Registration - Default: Yes
13. Site Search - Default: Enabled. Note that you can also choose which fields are used to carry out your customers' searches here.
14. Allow Cash On Delivey Payment Method - Default: No
15. Now click on the Watermarking Settings button to change settings pages.
16. Watermarking - Default: On
17. Apply to all galleries - Default: No. When you create a new gallery you will have the option to apply watermarking on an individual gallery basis.
18. Opacity - Default: 50%
19. Width - Default: 100%
20. Position - Default: Center
21. The first watermark image is selected by default.
Experiment with some of these options here to find a tasteful design and layout that protects your images.
You can also upload your own custom watermark design by using the Upload function at the bottom of the page.
Note that watermarks are applied to thumb-nail and preview images on your site only. They are not applied to your 'master' image file and so will not affect orders printed via Direct Fulfillment. For more information regarding watermarks please refer to this Knowledge Base article - http://helpdesk.photomerchant.net/entries/274468
Direct Fulfillment Settings
22. Click on the Direct Fulfillment Settings button to change settings pages.
23. Hold Order - Default: Yes
This means that all of your Direct Fulfillment orders will be Held until you manually approve them. You can access and approve orders from the Business tab of your Admin Dashboard. If you prefer to operate your site in a fully automated Direct Fulfillment mode you can set this option to No. Your orders will then be sent directly to the print lab. If you are planning to use this method then you should ensure that you have uploaded full resolution image files and also be sure that the aspect ratio of your images matches the dimensions of the products you have made available in the gallery so that no cropping of the image is required.
24. Show Metric - Default: No
All print dimensions are displayed as imperical measurements unless you wish to use this field to switch to metric.
25. Allow Customer Pickup - Default: No
Setting this option to Yes means that the print order will be sent to you in order that the customer can collect it direct from your studio.
Keep in mind though that activating this option means that you the photographer will be charged the shipping costs rather than the customer.
27. Allow customer to crop - Default: Yes *
This gives your customers the ability to crop images where the aspect ratio of the image does not match the the dimensions of the print product they have chosen.
28. Turn On Automatic Cropping - Default: Yes
The ensures that images not requiring cropping will not prompt you to do anything within the order. That is all images whose aspect ratios match the dimensions of the selected print product will not require any attention.
29. Gallery Default - Default: Self Fulfillment
30. Ship Orders to - Default: Me
This setting means that customer print orders will be sent to you the photographer. You can change this setting to 'Customer' to ensure that orders are delivered directly to your customers. Again, shipping fees for orders that are sent to you will be charged to your credit card rather than passed on to the customer.
* Note -Cropping and Aspect Ratios
The thing to keep in mind with the native aspect ratio, is that a lot of print sizes will not retain the 3:2 aspect ratio (e.g. a 4x6" will, but a 5x7" is a different aspect ratio). By turning the "Allow customer to crop" feature off, you will need to ensure that the image aspect ratio matches the print size sold. If they're all in keeping though, you wont have to do anything differently. Here's a good little article that illustrates the problem facing every photographer: http://www.digital-slr-guide.com/aspect-ratio.html
Email Notification Settings
31. The notification system that accompanies your ordering process is quite comprehensive.
The screen-shot above details the default set-up of your notification system and provides information regarding the purpose of each notice.
You can determine which of these messages are important to your business and tailor the system to meet you needs.
Finally, click on the Financial Settings button to the right of your sub-menu navigation.
32. Store Currency - Depending on your location (USD or AUD)
33. Collect GST - Default: Yes
34. GST to charge (Australia) - Default: 10%
35. Display prices including tax - Default: No
36. Include shipping costs in tax calculation? - Default: No
37. Tax customer or shipping address - Default: Shipping - This specifies the address that will appear on the customer's tax invoice.
38. Minimum Order Amount - Default: 20 AUD
39. Default Printhouse Tax Rate - Default: 10%
40. Default Shipping Tax Rate - Default: 10%
41. Don't forget to Save any changes you may wish to make to your settings.
- Done! -
Congratulations - that's the Getting Started Guide covered!
We hope you feel far more skilled up and confident with the application after making your way through the guide.
Don't forget to make use of the other Knowledge Base, FAQ and Forum resources to continue developing your site. If you're unable to find what you need don't hesitate to lodge a support ticket with us.
We look forward to helping you publish your photography and grow your business online.